Concentration / Summary
John M. Bouslog is a shareholder of Simpson, Jensen, Abels, Fischer & Bouslog, P.C. As a member of the firm’s Corporate practice group, John brings more than 25 years of experience to clients engaged in all phases of corporate transactions, locally and nationally.
Drawing on his well-honed skills as a strategic negotiator and business counselor, John helps clients negotiate and close on purchase, sale or merger of organizations, as well as a wide variety of transactions for his many corporate clients.
John served for a number of years as general counsel for a Des Moines-based bank as well as a Des Moines-based insurance company, for which he negotiated and closed a merger between two life insurance companies. John also practices in the regulatory compliance area in the banking and insurance industries. John represents a number of lenders in loan work out, foreclosure and deed in lieu of foreclosure transactions.
John was born in Macomb, Illinois on January 2, 1958. He graduated from Macomb High School in 1976 and received a Bachelor’s of Business (with Honors) from Western Illinois University in 1980. John also earned his J.D. and M.B.A. degrees from Drake University in 1985.
Areas of Practice
Business & Corporate Law, Labor/Employment Law Litigation
- Iowa (1985-Present)
- U.S. District Court (N.D. of Iowa and S.D. of Iowa, 1986-Present)
- U.S. Court of Appeals (8th Circuit, 1986-Present)
Professional Recognitions/Honors & Accomplishments
- AV ® Preeminent Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell
Associations and Affiliations
- Polk County Bar Association (Member since 1985; Board Member 2008-Present)
- Iowa State Bar Association (Member of the Business Law, Insurance Law and Estate Planning Sections, 1985-Present; Member of the Board of Governors 2010 to Present)
- American Bar Association (Member since 1985)
- Federation of Iowa Insurers (Member of the Board of Directors 2001-2003)
- Iowa Life and Health Insurance Association (Member of the Executive Committee 1998-2001)
- Iowa Life and Health Insurance Guaranty Association (Member of the Board of Directors 1998-2003)
- Council for Affordable Health Insurance (Member of the Board of Directors1999-2001)
- Health Insurance Association of America (Member of the Individual Insurance Committee 1999-2001)
- Rotary Club of Des Moines A.M.(Member 1991-Present, Past Director and President)
- Rotary Club of Des Moines A.M. Foundation (Member of the Board of the Directors 1997-2007, Past Chairman, Founding Member)
- Urbandale Community School District (Member of the Community Facilities Committee 2005-Present; Chairman 2010 – Present)
- Boys and Girls Club of Central Iowa (Member of the Board of Directors 2005-2010)
- Urbandale Little League (Member of the Board of Directors 1993-2003, Past Vice President, Past Manager 1992-2007)
- Little J-Hawk Sports Association (Member of the Board of Directors 1998-2005, Past Vice President, Past Coach 1998-2005)
Family, Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf