Workers' Compensation Process

If one of your employees is injured at work, they may be entitled to compensation for their injuries through your Worker’s Compensation Insurance. Injuries covered by Worker’s Compensation may include a health condition caused by work activities or any other injury directly related to employment. Iowa Worker’s Compensation law requires most employers to provide wage loss and medical benefits for employees who are injured while working.

To begin the workers compensation process, the injured employee must notify their employer within 90 days of the injury or when the injury became known. Once the employee notifies the employer, the employer must file a report with the Worker’s Compensation Commission within four days of notice.

Once a claim is made, the employer’s insurer must pay for medical care related to the work injury. Sometimes, disputes arise because of disagreements between the employer, employee, and insurance company. Some disputes can be resolved by open communication between all of the parties involved, but sometimes further action is required to ensure that the employee’s compensation is reasonable under the terms of the insurance plan. If the dispute cannot be resolved, the employee can contest to the Worker’s Compensation Commissioner. At this step in the process, it is advisable for employers to seek legal representation to defend the contested-case proceeding.

The attorneys at Simpson, Jensen, Abels, Fisher & Bouslog, P.C. are experienced in handling complex worker’s compensation issues. Contact us at (515) 288-5000 to discuss your issue with our firm.

Simpson Jensen Abels Fischer & Bouslog Law P.C. blogs, legal updates, and other content are for educational and informational purposes only. This is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney/client relationship between and Simpson Jensen Abels Fischer & Bouslog Law P.C. and readers. Readers should consult an attorney to understand how this content relates to their personal situation and circumstances. You should not use Simpson Jensen Abels Fischer & Bouslog Law P.C. blogs or content as a substitute for legal advice from a licensed attorney.